Monday, May 14, 2012

Pope Benedict's "Great Teachers" - A Catholic Company Book Review

This is embarrassingly behind (I won't even get into how long ago I received this book), but that doesn't change my glowing recommendation for "Great Teachers" by Pope Benedict XVI from The Catholic Company.  


This is a collection of the Wednesday Audiences that the Holy Father did a few years ago, focusing on the greatest teachers and theologians of the Church during times of scandal and strife throughout history.

The Holy Father focuses specifically on the 13th century "founding of the Franciscans by St. Francis of Assisi and the Dominicans by St. Dominic Guzmán," and uses them as examples of individual personal holiness that helped to " actualize a return to Gospel poverty, a deeper unity with the Church, and a new movement of evangelization..."

I loved this book and learned a lot about men I would never have thought to pick up an article about prior to reading this.  Because these are complied Wednesday audiences, they are brief, concise and very well focused.  In addition, the Holy Father's style is one that I think speaks to people on all levels - theologians and domestic church growers alike.  Each vignette is rich in history and personal detail about the saint or scholar, but also draws the reader deeper into this man's love of Christ and neighbor and how that is relevant in the modern Church and world.


I have honestly yet to read something by Pope Benedict that I haven't liked or thought was readily accessible to theologians and non-theologians, and "The Great Teachers" is no different.  


Click over to The Catholic Company (also a great spot for First Communion and Baptism gifts - tis the season!) and grab a copy today for light summer reading.  A sure thing to inspire homeschooling mamas planning curricula for next fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!