Sunday, May 6, 2012

Deployment Souvenir

While this crazy kid enjoyed some playdough time


(on a side note: i would have NEVER let the Boyo do this at his age. The mess! I'm not totally thrilled about it now, but.... eh. I'm pregnant)



We finally cleaned this puppy off and put it in the living room.  It had been sitting in the garage since February when it arrived from Iraq via tough box.  We vacuumed it six or seven times while it was out there, but did not want to move it in until we could carpet clean it.  My generous neighbor is always letting me use hers, so its just been a time/laziness issue, so I finally got off my duff about it.


I love how hideous it is.  The outer pattern is nice, actually, but the Turkish hunters slaying oddly faced deers and lions is bizarre at best and downright oooogly at worst.  But I think its awesome.  Its a genuine Turkish rug (machine woven, lets not get crazy), from Iraq, that sat on the floor of the FOB of Mr. 1st LT's site since at least the invasion, and possibly under Sadaam.  We vacuumed 4 to 5 sandboxes of genuine Iraqi desert out of that thing (so. gross.) because apparently, while it sat in the office, it was never once cleaned.  We have also used the steam cleaner on it twice, which yielded terrifying Ganges like water.

Definitely looked better when done, but if you sit in the living room for a while in the evenings, you start to get a "rug" smell.  Sort of dusty meets sandstorm meets carpet.  We're hoping it airs out more over time.  If not, I  guess I have to investigate how many millions of dollars it would cost to have a ginormous rug professionally cleaned.

But as of now, it was freeee, freee, freeee! :) (Not stolen, rescued from the trash!)




So now we have a little piece of the Middle East in our house, one which I am sure will come in genuinely handy back in LA, considering so many places there have tile or hardwood flooring. The reds in the rug go perfectly in our living room.

Almost makes up for not having a husband for seven months!

9 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! We have several "genuine" oriental rugs, including some antique ones (total we payed for all of them put together: $70! God bless handmedowns, flea markets, and wedding gifts :-) ) that hadn't been cleaned properly in a number of years when we moved here. I used a 50% off groupon for these guys: http://www.oxygreencarpetcleaningfayetteville.com/ . They did a good job, use non-toxic cleaners, and I want to say they charged me somewhere around $25 or $30 for extra rugs beyond the groupon? We were happy with their work, and the price seemed very reasonable for a one-time charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh awesome sarah, thanks, i will check them out!

      Delete
  2. Since it was free, I guess it's tolerable. And it's appropriate for boys. My husband loves it.

    He paid a pretty penny for the rug he bought me in Afghanistan (hand woven), and we hung it on the very large foyer wall to keep spills and dog hair off it. One day it will be on the floor of our library where children and pets do not go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors are more vivid in person - its uglyness endears it to me :) The colors are actually the part I like, its just the hunting scene thats a bit much :-p

      Hand woven! Oh gosh, I would be scared to walk on it!

      Delete
  3. this is a beautiful rug! what a cool thing to have in your home! except for the sand. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, the smell is a little old, but i'm positive its going to go away!

      Delete
  4. I love it. LOVE the weird hunters. Love the colors. VERY cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! And I love that the ugly endears you to it. I like to say that ugly is on a continuum, and some things are so ugly that they are awesome again. You just have to find the sweet spot. And in my book, this rug found it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome! Such a good story behind it, and I love that you love its hideousness :)

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!