Ten Years ago this very afternoon, I marched my little self down the main aisle at the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, gave my sassy salutatorian speech on "Well Behaved Women Never Make History" (with the examples of Mary, Harriet Tubman, Mother Seton and Rosa Parks. Never say I wasn't clever), and marched back down again with my tassel on the other side.
Unlike in the movies, high school was *not* the best time of my life. Its not nearly as awful as I thought it was at the time - I've gained a little perspective since - but it was definitely not something I'd want to repeat. As evidenced by a recurring nightmare of having to do it again. Shudder.
It was an age before digital cameras, before I lost my freshman ten, apparently (ugh, look at that chub); before a husband, two kids, two cross country moves and the army.If only I knew now, what I know then.
Listen to your mother more, I'd tell myself.
Relax a little already, I'd say.
Remember to enjoy yourself and not just wait for the next thing, I'd pontificate.
Forgive more and remember less, I'd suggest.
Hang on to your hat, I think I might impart. Its only gonna get better from here on out.
What would you tell your high school graduating self?


I just watched my students graduate last weekend... And I had many of the same thoughts. To them, this is the biggest event of their lives... It's all they've been waiting for. I want to tell them how much better it gets, hahaha, but they'll learn. I can only hope I've given then enough advice- and my email address- so they learn on their own how much more they have to see.
ReplyDeleteAnd oh yes, I feel VERY old (as I hold on dearly to the last two months of my 20s). And you could never, ever pay me enough to re-do high school.
Hey, I was salutatorian, too. I'd tell myself to be a better friend, especially to my dear friend Jessica, who died last year, along with her unborn daughter. I'd also tell myself to stop presuming to know all the answers, and that sometimes stubbornness isn't a good thing.
ReplyDelete