Friday, April 16, 2010

Our "Tell" Plan

Have I mentioned my husband is a cheater? The pumpkin eating kind, most definitely. Thus, this baby around, we are going to find out before he/she arrives whether she is a boy or a girl.

On a side note, did you know that 90% of parents find out now? NINETY percent? That's crazy! First of all, it makes surprise lovers like me super frustrated when trying to find neutral things (ha! barely exists! although, now I know why...) and 2ndly... what's wrong with the surprise? Oh, I know, I know, "I'll be surprised when I find out." I've heard that line from almost every single person who finds out. "Oh, I'm a planner." "Oh, I just have to know." Yadayadayada.

I'm not trying to say you're a bad parent or something if you find out - it just makes me... sad? that no one else wants to savor the unknowing. Not knowing with our Boyo was just so much fun! Guessing, wondering, waiting - it was delicious expectation. And this from someone who begs everyone to tell her what she got for Christmas.

And then - at the birth - oh the wonderment. I was pleasantly unsurprised by our little Boyo - I had known it was a boy for a few months by then. (Oh alright, I was totally surprised, but a little part of me that thought boy said, Yesssssss, I was right!) It was such an endorphin high, post-labor bliss, all his little boy toes and little boy nose. True blue love :)

The best, and most special part though, was that Mr. 2nd Lt. was the first one to tell me (ok wow, I'm tearing. Back, pregnancy hormones, back!). We had just thought about him maybe cutting the cord (Mr. 2nd Lt. wasn't sure he was interested), but the OB asked during a prenatal visit if Mr. 2nd Lt. wanted to be the first to tell me. Ooooh, I said, Yes! And he was.

Whoosh! The super push that brought our little son to us (this time? Sweet and slow at the end, sweet and slow - It's my new mantra!). WAaaahhh! Someone was not happy to be cold and out of the comfy dark. "Lina, hes a boy." My husband's sweet voice.

Ahhh, memories.

So anyways, this time, no waiting, no wondering, just lots of knowing. Its only fair after all - its his turn to pick. So, I'm embracing the know - happening next month, so stay tuned! I'll enjoy the knowing in a different way, I'm sure and then come next baby, I get to pick again :)

That being said, I told my husband - it was special finding out with monkey boy. Having the ultrasound tech say, "hey, your kid's a _____ " ? Not so special. We need a plan. I want my husband to be the first to tell me this time as well.

So here's the deal. We go in for a our sonogram and explain we want to know but we don't want them to say it outloud. Oooh, and I just decided, Boyo will wear his new "Big Brother" shirt.

I want complete non-expression on everyone's face; he writes it on a paper, Mr. 2nd Lt. can look at it, he puts it away. We oooh and aaahhh over femurs and spines and heartbeats (maybe some thumb sucking?) and then, we leave.

We then go out to a "Yay! Its a _______!" Lunch (at Panera of course. Can you go anywhere else for lunch?) In the car are two baby gift bags, packaged by Mr. 2nd Lt. last night (part of my Klingon adventure) and securely tied so I can't see inside. I had originally wanted identical baby bags, but I refuse to spend money on baby gift wrapping when I have so. much. but not two of the same. Before we eat delicious yumminess, he gives me boy gift ala this cute outfit and lovey, hand picked by big brother:





or, girl outfit and lovey, handpicked by a super refraining Mama who didn't also buy matching socks, headband, shoes and purse (bloomers came with!)



Then, we eat delicious Panera and go over to Target to return the other baby gift that isn't needed. And, um, I reserve the right to purchase the mentioned accessories if it is indeed a girl. I'm just sayin'....

8 comments:

  1. When I was pregnant, I totally wanted to find out this time. We didn't with our JWG and I, much like you, thought the baby was a boy and was right. This time (although we'll never know), I'm pretty sure the baby was a girl. If I am ever blessed again, I would like to find out, to plan a bit and to name the baby so we can call the baby by his/her name for JWG. One of my friends did this for all two (she's just pregnant with her third) pregnancies and will do for the third, so they can name the baby and get the siblings excited about it. Although I liked origianlly not knowing, I think that is beautiful and you may find out you enjoy it too! Good luck...when do you find out?
    Ps: I heart Panera. Soooo yummy and not too expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know someone who had the tech write it down and they opened it up for Christmas. I thought that was a great idea (if your timing happens to be so good!). I also like your idea with the presents and turning it into an event on its own. If we have another, maybe we'll do something like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. andrea, did you know lex was a boy? i could have sworn it was a surprise...

    kira - it will be nice to use his/her name and hopefully johnny will be able to say it by the time they are born! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He will be able to say "Rita" just fiiiiine.

    If he can say "Tia" now, "Rita" is just a tad bit harder

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did know Lex was a boy. Mike didn't want to find out at first, so I was going along with him. The HE felt the baby kick and just had to know! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this post made me smile (out loud, if possible)! Our OB spilled the beans our first go-round (I had an ultrasound every week for medical and ONE time I forgot to get WE-DON'T-WANNA-KNOW out quick enough...) The second go-round, my husband HAD to know, but I was determined to have a surprise. He was out in the field for THE ultrasound. So I had the tech seal up the incriminating photo and I gave the envelope to him when he got back from survival school. And would you believe that he kept the secret for months, even though the last 2 he was in Korea and I was in OR? Oh I just love how every pregnancy is different and special and wonderful! Excited to hear about yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your perspective on waiting!! We waited with # 1, and I think we are going to wait for # 2, # 3, # 4, #5, etc...whenever they might come along!

    Is it wrong that part of me liked when people looked at me as if I had 3 heads when I told them I was waiting to find out. It was fun to see the responses.

    It did drive me nuts when people said they wanted to plan, though. Ummm, plan for a baby! I mean, boys and girls both need food, a place to sleep, a few toys, some diapers, etc.

    Even though you are finding out, I am excited to hear you have a special way to hear the announcement. That is awesome! Enjoy every second!
    ~ Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks! :) and yes, it was fun, people were so "mystified" that we weren't finding out with john.

    lol, the plan thing cracks me up because i know SO Many who planned WRONG (those ultrasounds - tricky, tricky!)

    i will say, the high % of finding out (its like in the 90s!) makes gender neutral stuff practically nonexistent - drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!