Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Around the World - a Catholic Company Review

When I was younger, I absolutely loved learning and reading about how Christmas was celebrated in different countries.  I loved the St. Lucia traditions I learned about in the American Girl books, I loved reading about Old Befana and somewhere around the fourth grade, I even wrote an article about it for our school newspaper.

Yes, Nerd Alert.

So I was pleasantly surprised to read Candy Canes in Bethlehem with my boys - its a sweet picture book about ways in which other cultures and countries keep Christmas.

 A little boy is charged with putting up the Nativity at Church and thinks his job is too "boring."  When he suggests adding dinosaurs to the manger, his sister is aghast but other friends chime in with different things that their mangers have - Elders instead of Wise Men in a Native American creche, special stars in the Philippines  and we even learn that kangaroos pull Santa's sleigh instead of reindeer in Australia.

Its a very sweet book and a lovely way to get your kiddos interested in Christmas around the world!



This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. The Catholic Company has great gift ideas for all seasons of the liturgical year, be sure to check out their Advent selection and Catholic Christmas Gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!