Sunday, September 16, 2012

Boys To Men

Facebook showed me some pictures the other day of former students of mine who just graduated high school.  This, of course, pains me, because they were my students when they were in junior high (before my oldest was even born! *sob*) and now they are off to college and the world of adulthood.  Ie. I. am. so. old.

However, what struck me the most about these pictures were the boys.  Or, actually, I should say, the men.

The girls look essentially the same as when they sat in my classroom - a little older, for sure, but in terms of facial features and such, nearly identical.  Puberty for girls starts so much earlier or finishes sooner or something and it seems like apart from haircuts and style of dress, junior high on through later looks alike.

But the boys!  Two of them I literally did not know who they were.  Kids who I saw for endless hours for over two years, out of school at Mass and around town and they were hard to recognize.  One I only noticed who it was by the tag on the photo.

They weren't boys anymore, poised on the awkward, sometimes scrawny, edge of the teen years, halfway between childhood and young adulthood.

They looked like men.  Grown-up adult males.

Now of course, I'm speaking of eighteen year olds and these young fellows would be the first to admit that life and the Holy Spirit has much to teach them in terms of wisdom and knowledge and experience.

But in their bodies, they were all grownup.  And, oh my heart strings.  Because my mind jumped to my own sweet little bouncing monkeys, full of baby chub and rounded cheeks and smooth hairless skin and I thought:

Oh NO! One day, MY boys will be men.

Somehow, on some level, this has failed to occur to me in the past nearly five years.

And would I even recognize them?  Should the now me have a peek at a high school or college graduation picture fifteen to twenty years in the future, would I know them?  My babies who I grew and birthed and loved will grow into someone so utterly apart from myself.

Cue 36.5 week pregnant tears.

I recently finished Hallie Lord's Style, Sex and Substance (mustread. MUST), and I loved Simcha Fischer's chapter on motherhood - she talked about how it is the ultimate act of letting go.  Every moment from birth and beyond is about pushing them out - out of our wombs, out of our arms, out of our nests.

Pope Pius (XII?) said that "Every mother is like Moses. She will not enter the Promised Land. She prepares a world that she will not see."

Sigh.  An honor and a privilege for sure.  A joy, most definitely.  But oh, so bitter, bittersweet.

4 comments:

  1. Mrs. 1st Lt, not to make you super cry but wait until the kids you taught graduate college! I student taught high school in 2000 and those kids are either 29/30 (the seniors)...or 27 (the sophmores). It made me realize I am not much older than they are! (34 this October). Anyway, I have to say, letting J go to kindergarten this year was a huge wake up for me; he will grow up, he will leave, he already has a life I don't know about (it is like pulling teeth trying to get info about the school day!) I LOVE that quote and think it took me until this year to realize that: a. they aren't 'my' children (I don't own them!) and b. they are their own persons. I can't wait to meet the new addition! (FYI: Blessed Kateri is being sainted this October but I am sure you knew that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October 21st!! :)

      oh gosh, you could have student taught me! :-p i was a senior in 00/01! you would have been such a baby teaching us then! :) I actually taught HS juniors in 2005 and of course, that means they're what? 25 now? But i don't have contact with any of them and they were already so... grown? to begin with. I think part of the shock of those FB pictures for me was that when i "had" them, these kids were really just kids.

      and now, not so much!

      Ohmigosh, a life you dont know about it! *SOB* there's a selfish reason for me to homeschool :-p

      Delete
  2. I know! Its insane; but I am glad he is becoming more independent and I know he is safe (as he can be) at our local school.
    And now I feel SUPER old...could have taught you? Gah. . . .!!!!
    All the middle schoolers I taught five years ago are graduating in the last few years and when I see their pics on FB, I kinda freak, b/c they're supposed to be eternally 10-12 in my head!
    Your boys are too cute, btw...see you in November! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried the first time Bill mentioned getting the boys ID cards and they were only 6 (so 4 years too young). The twins' voices have started cracking!

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!