Friday, April 20, 2012

Things I'm Wondering

Why do I only have dreams about my husband dying or leaving us, getting fired from my old job or people from junior high who still look like they did in 1997?

Why did they make a movie about one of the political heroes of the 20th century, one of the greatest women of the modern age and reduce her accomplishments to a clipshow and only show her last years full of dementia? *That* is the best you can do with Margaret Thatcher's life Hollywood? Disgusting.

Why are politics so horribly depressing? Why do we have a system that offers us little to no choice?

Why is the Game of Thrones show softcore pornography? I loved those darn books and am seriously considering not watching the series because the sex is so. very. graffic.

Why is bedtime with a nonnursing 18 month old a punishment for the mama?

Why does the South have pools that don't open until Memorial Day when it gets unnaturally hot in April? Why?

Why are stay-at-home and work-at-home mamas still and always at each other's throats (Thanks Hilary Rosen for stirring that pot)? Every mama is a working mother and every mother is a *mother* and different strokes for different folks and so on and can't everyone relax? I do firmly believe that circumstances permitting, babies and kids need their mothers, or at least one of their parents, with them as an ideal, but circumstances don't always permit and that doesn't change how much mothers love their children. All mothers at home don't eat bonbons and drink liquor while children are nannied and all mothers who work don't worship at the altar of corporate success.

Why can I find no energy or motivation to clean my house but can find plenty to complain and whine about how icky it is?

Why there are people who won't go to the Holocaust Museum in DC (who have the chance, obviously. I don't mean people who live in Nebraska or anything)? Yes, its intense; yes, its painful at times and yes, its a lot to take in, but isn't that the point? That unless we remember, unless we *see* what it looks like to dehumanize people on a political, social and individual level then we will merely do it again? Those millions and millions of Jewish men, women and children, not to mention all the Catholics and others, who lie in mass graves deserve to be remembered. Just as Satan wants us to ignore that the victims of abortion are actually little children, he also wants us to think that atrocities like the holocaust happened "sometime" to "those" people. We cannot forget.

Why has my four year old been wearing his cowboy costume every day for over a month?

Why is Friday always the longest day of the week?

4 comments:

  1. Amen on the Game of Thrones. My husband read the first book, and while he really liked the plot, he was annoyed at the amount of explicit sex. My mother-in-law sent us the first season as a gift. We just tried it last night. Despite significant amounts of fast-forwarding, we both felt so gross and dirty after one episode that we decided its proper place was straight in the trash. It's there now, buried under some potato peels, onion skins, and junk mail :-). I'm bummed because the fictional world and plot seemed intriguing, but it just wasn't worth paying the price of wallowing in all that smut, or of passing it on to someone else to entrap them. I started with "oh, we can just skip the bad bits" but a) there were SO many, and b) our consciences were nagging us with the whole "it not being TOO bad" is still the opposite of the whole "whatever is good, whatever is noble, whatever is pure, whatever is honorable....think on these things" passage. It also bothered me the way the sex was portrayed - not just that it was graphic, but that there was not a single example in the first episode of a positive, fulfilling, or human relationship. Every one of those scenes was downright animalistic and dehumanizing.

    Also? Yes, to this --> Why can I find no energy or motivation to clean my house but can find plenty to complain and whine about how icky it is? ....you should see our kitchen floor right now. Or rather, you shouldn't, because I'm commenting on your blog rather than mopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told I wouldn't like Game of Thrones for the very reason you're considering not watching it. I don't know why shows have to be so graphic.

    For me, it's hard being a leave-home-to-go-to-work mother. I am so tired some days when I get home I don't want to play with my kids and I definitely don't clean up anywhere near as much as I do when I am home with them over my breaks. Just a few thoughts on my situation. I've been trying to figure out what I can do to make a little extra money working from home, but I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lina, I LOVE that: every mama is a working mother, and every working mother is a mama. I am totally borrowing that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to watch the HBO shows The Borgias and The Tudors just to pick apart their take on history, but the bit I have seen had so much sex, that I felt I was watching porn. I've not been back for a second look.

    Lived in DC for several years and never went to the Holocaust Museum. But walking through Dachau was enough for a lifetime. Next time we live up there, I will probably take the older children. They were all under 12 when we moved, and too young for it. Heck, even just the other day I was trying to not-graphically explain why the movie October Baby was likely rated PG13...I really didn't want to describe an abortion procedure to them and had to kind of wave my magic wand and say "Trust me, killing a baby is not a pretty sight." It's not like war movies from the 50's where there's a spot of blood on the guy's shirt and he falls over.

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!