Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ten After Eleven

After reading a great top ten things about some husbands, ala Betty Beguiles, I thought I'd chime in with some of my own.

1. We met eleven years ago this June. Holy carp, we're old now.

2. However, when I say met, I mean "in person." Eleven years ago, nowish, I "met" him online. Sure, we knew mutual friends IRL, but for all intensive purposes, we met on the internet. Nowadays, that isn't terribly odd. But in 2000, showing friends in study hall a picture of this boy who I "met online" was kinda, um, weird. And nerdy. And, stalkerish.

Yes, this is the photo.
And heck yes, I busted this out online.
He thought he was super cool back then.
Oh honey. ((Shakes head))



3. When I was in eighth grade, for reasons only understandable to anxsty tween girls, I wrote a list of qualities I desired in my husband one day. In the top five? (No lie) Likes Star Trek: TNG. (Apparently I was frustrated by my peers complete and utter lack of cinematic taste at the time because as an adult, its a lot easier to find cool ie normal people who also like ST: TNG). When I met Mr. 2nd Lt. and found out he liked it too? (No joke) I thought, he must be the one.

4. The man is insanely loyal to his Boston heritage. All things from MA he loves (minus the taxes. oh and the scandals. oh and legalizing gay marriage. Ok, all things sports) and it is absolutely adorable watching him start to pass on his legacy of love - Red Sox, Pats, Bruins, Celtics, etc. - to our boys. Of course, this also includes loving Boston Creme Pie. This was the groom's cake at our wedding and the cake I have made 5 times during our marriage, only the last one of which was successful. Don't judge, that glaze is dang hard.

5. As proof of his deep familial love of Boston sports, he just got a nice, new Patriots jersey for a great deal on eBay and he likes to just go and look at it in his closet. Look at it. A jersey. Boys are so. weird.

6. We are not *that* couple - you know the cutsey, PDA folks who sit on the same side of the booth (to borrow from Steve Carrell in "Date Night" - how do people talk like that?!). However. We do finish each other's sentences. And make the same bad slash corny slash super lame slash funny probably only to us jokes at the exact. same. time. Really, its eerie. Or it would be if I didn't think it was just one of the bonuses God throws in with the sacramental grace of marriage.

7. In our six years of marriage, we have lived in six different place together (seven for me, since he was at basic for one of them). I'm hoping the next six years sees us hit the nice round number of seven places to live. Because moving? Not so much fun.

8. I am convinced that my husband is actually looking forward to his deployment. Ok, actually, he has kind of admitted as much. Sure he's going to miss us, etc. etc., but he is thrilled for all the free time he's going to have to work on his writing. Most people go to a coffee shop to write. My husband? The Middle East. Go big or go home, folks.

9. My husband has taught me that there is nothing more attractive than a man who babywears. And lets his wife sleep in. And empties the dishwasher.

10. Every anniversary, I look at my husband and rejoice in how happy we are as a family and stand convinced it just can't get better. And every year, he proves me wrong.

7 comments:

  1. What a sweet list! I chuckled many times on my way through. (holy carp? you seriously crack me up!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the TNG thing- for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love #9 (apparently like commentor Joy). Though the dishwasher is one of my favorite chores so I prefer when he vacuums or washes the kitchen floor by hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, meeting online back in 2000 is a big deal! It's definitely been a much more recent development, you're right. Glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, you had me laughing out loud at Number 8. In between spurts of insanity my husband keeps calling to say he got to spend the day reading, sketching and painting. He's working on a stations of the cross series and just gave a painting to the priest for the camp chapel. He was also very excited to get there (new environment, hanging out with the guys, gets to carry his gun all the time, etc.) but the good news is at this point he's more than equally excited to come home.

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. I love this. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!