Friday, March 4, 2011

Housewifery Friday: A Lenting We Will Go

Are you getting all your Alleluia's out? Its almost time to bury it, so you better get them in while you can!

I just unearthed the purple cloth today (for statue covering) and have removed most decorations from winter (except for St. Patrick's....). I'm slowly readying my heart and mind as well.

Boyo, being three and quite the grown young man, is old enough now, I think, to start "doing" Lent, albeit on a toddler sized scale. Based on his love of the Advent calendar and adding things every day, we are going to do the following:

  • Karen Edminston's Lamb of God Lent Calendar. However, we are going to decorate the whole thing with cottonballs so that at the end of forty days, the little lamby is all filled in and does not just have a fluffy tummy. I'm OCD like that.
  • This amazing French Nun Lent Calendar, because really, who doesn't want an excuse to hang a cute little nun on her wall. Maybe we'll name her Sister Claire...
  • My good friend (who makes me things!) has painted Alleluia letters and a box for burying that apparently, they never got excited about using. I have always loved this idea but never done it officially, so I'm hoping my son enjoys it as much as I plan to!
  • We are going [to try] to do some reading every day of his "Little Acts of Grace."
  • Lastly, we are going to make a dough Crown of Thorns. Every time my boyo does something virtuous for our Lord, he gets to take out a "thorn." Then, on Easter, it becomes the Crown of Life (no more thorns, fancy gold, flowers, etc.) This will be not only crafty, but also a way to grow in holiness and virtue. Or, at least, to try to.

So, please share - how are you getting your homes and hearts ready for Lent? Especially your little ones!

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how badly I miss the Alleluia during Lent. I did a lot of clicking through from here and perhaps an activity will help me put my big girl panties on and deal with it...

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!