Friday, August 20, 2010

The Elusive Quest Has Ended

For the entirety of our marriage, I have searched high and low for a good Boston Creme Pie recipe (my husband's favorite. All things Boston in this house!).

The cake and the creme (really its a custard) filling have been no brainers; multiple recipes, multiple successes.

Oh, but the chocolate glaze.

My nemesis. My enemy. My Gethsemane.

But no longer! I scoured the Internet and cobbled together the cake/custard recipe from one place and a different glaze recipe (I think from the joyofcooking.com). I was drawn to it because it calls for no confectioners sugar, which I think has been my problem. My glazes have always come out too stiff, or too hard - more like fudgey frosting (or in one case of who knows what went wrong, actual fudge!) than the liquid-y glaze that is supposed to be the topping on Boston Creme Pie.



Please excuse how its a little slanted; one of the cakes was uneven (but still yummy).

ETA: Ok, so the cake was a little dry. But that's alright because I've made a good cake part before. The frosting was PERFECT!

4 comments:

  1. NOT UNCHARITABLE.... NO SEX OR DRUGS HERE.... NO BAAAD MAMA COMMENTS. YOUR LUCKY JESUS SMILE FRIDAY.

    OK ... HERE GOES.
    *********** FLORIDA SECRET KEY LIME PIE RECIPE))))) read fine print ... this is my small print penance. I am not itchy poo all the time.


    1. 1 CAN OF BORDEN LOW FAT CONDENSED MILK
    2. ONE BOTTLE OF THIS. hERE'S THE LINK http://www.keylimejuice.com/
    YOU ARE ONLY GONNA need a 1/4 cup.
    3. 3 egg yolks only split them and no egg whites.
    4 one graham crackie crust.

    mix the 1/4 cup of juice in a bowl with 3 eggie yolks. PUT IN THE WHOLE STINKIN CAN OF MILK OK?

    BAKE AT 350 f FOR 15 MINNIES.

    EAT ENJOY AND WELL MY FRIDAY PENANCE HAS BEEN SERVED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.keylimejuice.com/state_retailers.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe - my family is from key west, we love that keylime juice! :)

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!