Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My Ambition Knows No Bounds...

Behold, my new project: A baby quilt for a college friend.


After spending umpteen dollars at Joann's today (its that darn minky back, I swear! I shopped clearance and sales otherwise! The normally expensive batting was 40% too!), I have some purples (her mama's favorite) and yellows (her name means "light") for a baby quilt. I tried to pick different textures to make it interesting for the little one - satiny (ack!), linens that are a little rough, and cottons with interesting patterns.

My ambitiousness comes from the fact that I'm not doing my standard quilt, I'm attempting this:


Some girlfriends made this for another girlfriend who had a baby in January, and it sounds simple enough...

But it involves 3*5 blocks (I've never done blocks), sashing (I've never done sashing), and I even bought satiny ribbon to use as a binding (ACK!! I've never done a binding!!).

I might still cheat quilt it tho - sew one side onto the batting before attaching the back; I'm not sure how much out of my comfort zone I can sew.

Oh, and I guess I'm using white thread, since I forgot to buy something colored. Perhaps, when I get to the quilting, if its not totally ruined and I'm not in the throes of mental breakdown, I'll go buy some yellow.

3 comments:

  1. So jealous you're crafy! I'm SO not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehheh, notice the "wanna-be" crafty - i sew because i enjoy it, but its way crooked and not professional :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color of the thread doesn't matter when you are piecing. Make sure when you are ironing your seams to pull the pieces apart a bit so that fabric doesn't get "lost." (I had this problem when doing Kinsley's quilt and had to rip a lot out and do it again because things weren't lining up due to my ironing :( ) I don't think I would be brave enough to use satin ribbon as a binding (it is slippery and bunchy to sew and may even require a special needle ~ yikes! Or this could all be in my imagination.) There are lots of great videos on how to make your own binding on youtube :) Goood LUCK!

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!