Thursday, April 22, 2010

Feelin' Stabby


Seriously, Ft. Bragg Housing Office?

You. are. killing. me.

All things equal (size, yard, niceness, etc.), I would really prefer to live on post. However, Ft. Bragg is run by the "We Hate 2nd Lt.s and their family club" and seems determined to not help us.

To be fair, its not like anyone has been out and out rude - its just that there is a 6-10 month waiting list
What's that you ask? We move in only 2.5 months? Right. What's that you ask? Why aren't we on the waiting list already? Because we can't until this Saturday. Right.
and when I called today to ask some questions, and said, is the wait really that long, she said yes.

Sigh.

And, the worst part is that I am going to have jump through numerous hoops to apply - like figure out an ID office appointment for a stupid DEERS form that I didn't need to apply at Benning. Did I mention that the ID office is supposed to be having month+ waiting time for an appointment? - and the likelihood of getting on post housing is slim to none.

Eekackboohiss.

To compound the fun of this little adventure, finding off-post housing is proving to be kind of a pain, too. Everyone with a nice apartment complex seems to only take one pet (we have two and I desperately want a dog); I can't find any townhouses (I would love a little square of grass to send the Boyo outside to play. With his dog.) and the area is supposed to be super sketch, so I don't want to accidentally end up in the hood.

Alright, now that I'm done griping about it, I'm off to internet search more places.

Deep Breath!

7 comments:

  1. I think you remember our terrible experience with the housing office. And god forbid if you get anything wrong on the application or have any questions. That perky young girl who answers the phones? Completely rude. Completely useless. And good luck trying to talk to anyone else. When I asked, she told me "no". We didn't even have a long wait according to the office, but they still haven't called us with an opening. We really wanted to be on post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried to get on post housing, but when we lived at Bragg, we looked at houses through the Remax office in town. The guy who showed us around (Warne) is really old, but very nice. He's retired military, so he understands housing allowances. He's also lived in Fayetteville for a long time and knows the neighborhoods. I remember we drove through one neighborhood where some houses were for sale (we were buying) that looked nice, but he turned to me and said, "To be honest, I don't want to see you living in this neighborhood," so we didn't even look. If you can't live on post, I'd suggest going through them. By the way, congrats on the baby...I'm due the same week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara - yea, I hear you. Noone was flatout rude to me (yet?) but I just get a "we don't care very much because EVERYONE wants on post, so if you don't do it, someone else will" vibe. ARgh. Could you recommend a leasing agent?

    It just makes me feel so overwhelmed!


    DODependent - Remax you said? I will call them and ask for Warne, thanks so much!

    congrats to you too! I'm sad to see you aren't blogging anymore, so I didn't have anywhere to comment, so hopefully you see this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here they beg people to use base housing and even rent out to civilians. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I know you got a recommendation up above, but I have an email in to a friend who just PCS'd from there who was in realty. I'll let you know if she has any tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the picture!

    Although I also took a picture of you "feelin' stabby" that night. Don't you think it would have been more appropriate to use that one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. no, dad's is better :) plus, i have an image to maintain :-p

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!