Friday, January 15, 2010

He had a dream...


And it came true.

There is neither Jew nor Greek,
there is neither slave nor free person,
there is not male and female;
for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

~Galatians 3:28



Enjoy your day off and celebrate the man who dared to make a difference.


Happy Birthday Dr. King.

And thank you so very much for our three and half day weekend.


***

On a related note, I bought Boyo a little MLK board book to read about for Monday and... I think I'm going to return it. It talks about how MLK didn't get to do things because he wasn't white. I realized I was bothered.

A) I don't want to give my kid a guilt complex

and 2) I don't want my kid to realize that people ARE different colors.

God loves us all, no matter what, and that's the focus I want to put on MLK's birthday and whenever we talk about Civil Rights and other things of this nature.

I'm not faulting the book, its nice enough, but I realized that Johnny is young enough that I would be planting the idea in his head that people treat people differently because they look different. I wish it had talked about MLK wanting things to be the same for everyone, rather than, "things were different because he looked different."

Really, its a language thing, I guess.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or know of some books that put the focus on the equal/God loves everyone side of things, rather than the people are different side of things?

2 comments:

  1. Since we adopted a child of another race we have been taught you can't start soon enough teaching them that people are treated different by how they look. But we have to teach our children how to handle how they are treated and your son does not have to live that.

    And trust me, he knows people are different colors. And when you downplay that...you take away the most visible part of who some people are. It's called whitewashing and its not good either.

    At the same time I'm hear exactly what you are saying. I just not allowed to live there anymore! And what an education it has been. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, those are all interesting things to think about - thank you autumn!

    its hard because, sure you know people are different colors ,like you know people are different sexes or wear different kinds of pants or shoes or whatever - but i think PEOPLE being different colors should have the same significance as people wearing different shoes, you know?

    interesting to note, but who cares? kind of thing.

    you said it takes away the most visible part of who some people are... i think that might make me sad. i don't want my kid defined by his race or ethnic background. don't get me wrong, its fun and interesting and GOOD to know where your family has come from and what people do "over there" (fill in cultural information here!), BUT...

    for as, as Catholics, we're all God's children first. God made us all and loves us all and THAT is how I want him defining both himself and others. we love everyone because Jesus does.

    sure, when he gets older, there will come a point when he'll realize that not everyone acts like that (insert racism here) and we'll need to explain that son, sorry, but some people don't treat them like Jesus wants us to and that's wrong and people like MLK helped to make everyone get treated the same but.....

    I don't want to teach him the different part until it happens on its own...

    does that make any sense? :)

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!