Monday, December 14, 2009

Toddler Eats

Ok, serious mama topic today.

What and how do you get your toddler to eat?

Fortunately, the Boyo is a pretty good eater. When he's hungry. When he's not, its like you're trying to water-board him. Honestly, this is a good thing, because, really, should you be eating if you're not hungry?

The thing is, is that the variety is pretty low, which, actually, is kinda my fault. Here is the pretty standard menu:

Breakfast: yogurt, with blueberries and granola (if we've run out of crack, I mean berries, I'll give him some frosted mini wheats, but the yogurt is 9/10 days)

Lunch: 1/2 bagel with cream cheese. (unless we're out of one of those and then its good, ol' (natural, crunchy. lol, of course, did you have to ask? :-p) PB&J (high fructose corn syrup free!). Also, I keep meaning to add PB to the bagel as well for more protein)

Dinner: Varies the most. Beans, rice and beef ; eggs, waffles and bacon ; pasta, red sauce, parm cheese, and sometimes sausage ; Friday mac&cheese with tuna and frozen peas&carrots ; homemade pizza with sausage ; Mexican chicken and rice.

Snacks: Goldfish, pretzels, and.... goldfish. (Hey, they're whole grain!)

Here is the problem area.

Am I a terrible mother that my kid only eats crackery carbs all day long?

He'll eat a banana, sometimes; an apple (sliced), sometimes; a cheese stick, sometimes.

I'm stumped for other easy, low maintenance, easily transportable, not a lot of fuss for me, snack ideas. Especially, concerning vegetables. Because I think he might be lacking any of that particular food group.

Thoughts? :)

5 comments:

  1. My youngest lives on carbs only. I've been pulling my hair out over it for years. The docs keep telling me not to worry about it. What? They are needing their building blocks for health!!!

    Food Fail. No advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are lucky and probably have the only child on earth that asks for more brussel sprouts with a big excited PLEASE!


    Some of our favorites around here for vegetables (besides the brussel sprout) are steamed carrots and broccoli. She ESPECIALLY loves broccoili with "shaky cheese" on it (aka grated parmesan).

    Raisins, grapes, cheese, snow peas and grape tomatoes are favorite snacks around here (besides apples, goldfish and crackers)

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, snow peas. those sound none choky. i also should buy grapes, he does like those.

    brussel sprouts - ewww :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a child that isn't big into veggies you may try some options with a "dip." Somehow that makes things better - at least they do for my youngest (or feed it to his sister and then he has to have some, lol). Like carrots and ranch, veggies and hummus, apples with PB (we can't do this due to allergies, but it is yummy), cottage cheese with fruit, etc. I find that fruit is easier to take on the go vs veggies, but mine eat both very well. For some reason they both love steamed broccoli. Like to the point that I have to limit how much they eat (or their tummies hurt from gas) - crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!