Now, we have inscribed a new memory alongside those others.It’s a memory of tragedy and shock, of loss and mourning. But not only of loss and mourning. It’s also a memory of bravery and self-sacrifice, and the love that lays down its life for a ...friend–
even a friend whose name it never knew.
President Bush, 12/2001
It was my freshman year of college. I was asleep, because I didn't have class until 11AM -- n International Relations class that I actually still went to, despite the insanity of the day, because I wasn't sure what quite else to do.
A neighbor banged on the hall a little after 10Am yelling for us to turn on the tv. I turned on my little 13in just in time to watch the second tower come down. I called my husband (then boyfriend), and after getting through his irritation at being awoken (I often called him when I knew he was sleeping :-p), we watched it happen, together, over the phone. My mother worked in downtown DC, and there are family friends who work at the Pentagon (fortunately, another wing) and after I found out about that hit, I spent all day trying to get through to her cell phone.
Eight years later, my husband now serves to help protect this great nation, that all those who died that day might live on in the memories of those who were left behind. And, our family serves him, supports him and loves him, so that he has someone to come home to at the end of a long day of sacrificing himself that others might be safe.
God bless America. Let Freedom Ring.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Its true, comments make my day :)
Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.
This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!
Uncharitable comments will be deleted!