Ft. Meade - 0, Mrs. 2nd Lt. - 2Another successful trip to Ft. Meade today, in the midst of many errands for this surprise party for my parents' 30th wedding anniversary (which isn't much of a surprise anymore because of my sister's loose, ship-sinking lips!). The commissary is officially my new best friend! What good deals! I mean, I had heard about the gloriousness of the commissary before, but now that I have experienced it first hand, I am a true believer :) . In my head for some reason, I had pictured something much smaller, but it was the size of a regular grocery store. My best find was two boxes of Raisin Nut Bran, already lower than regular price, with a coupon for $1.50 off. I paid about the same for two boxes as I would for one in the store here, and LESS than for one in the stores back in Cali.
The only blip on the awesome screen was the apparently militant baggers who work only for tips (so said a sign I missed that my aunt saw on the way out), who bagged my things and loaded a special cart WITHOUT ASKING ME. Me, who never has cash for tips; me, who never does things like that for that reason; me, who then got reamed out by this elderly man for not telling him that I didn't want him to take my bags to the car; me, who was at the commissary for the first time and thus had no idea that this was how it worked. So, yes. That was a bit awkward. But the kiefer and Raisin Nut Bran that I bought made me feel better. :)
+><>+><>+><>+><>+><>+><>+><>+><>
On a completely separate note, I am both extremely amused and mildly irritated at the discussion on ecologically friendly feminine products. While I do admit that my hippiness and such is increasing all the time, and I do completely understand that cloth diapering and cloth menstrual products are just not for some people, some of the reactions of the women in those comments are just so extreme. That, I don't understand. Sure, one particular person doesn't want to wash diapers, etc., but why does someone care so much that someone else doesn't mind doing such a thing? Just because others DO reuse such things doesn't make them disgusting, weirdo liberal freaks of monstrous nature.
I just like saving money, honestly. The earth part is a happy bonus. :) And anytime something makes me, ME of all people, look like a liberal, I have to laugh and laugh and laugh. Because, yea. Guess who's not? :)


Ah the commissary, LOVE IT. I'm not sure how big the one at fort meade is but the one just a bit down the road at andrews AFB is relatively new and HUGE! So is there PX. You really can't beat the deals there and after a bit you get used to the whole bagging thing. There is just a learning curve.
ReplyDeleteAs for the eco friendly pads, hey to each their own. Most blog things need to be taken with a grain of salt and a sense of humor. And a lot of folks carry that over in their comments. But your right, it is easy for assumptions, incorrect at times, to be made based on a single choice. I mean I'm all for breastfeeding and composting but you'll see me washing my pads out when Al Gore becomes BFF with Newt.
so does that mean that you HAVE to use the baggers? because i really don't want to pay for it... i guess that makes me sound like a tightwad, but we really don't carry cash, and i really would rather do it myself.
ReplyDeleteand re: eco-friendliness - i almost fell over laughing at newt and gore having starbucks together, ala BFFs :) and i totally understand that sort of thing isn't for everyone, i just was mildly surprised at some of the almost nasty comments you got. i was like, really? do you care that much?
lol and while one day, when we have space, i would like to compost, THAT actually grosses me out the most because it involves.... bugs. (shudder) SO gross :) but i hear it makes good veggie gardens! :)
I used cloth diapers, and absolutely LOVED them! Pads, not so sure about, but have friends that swear by them and the cup!
ReplyDeleteI just use the baggers and give them $2. If they are nice and I bought a lot I give $3. Some people do 25 cents a bag. I'm usually surrounded by three kids and not in the mood to calculate a tip, so they get a blanket amount.
One time I didn't have money in Germany and they bit my head off, even though I apologized profusely and told her I would bring one next time. The next time she was up, and wouldn't bag me. I gave the boy a $20 tip and told him he could have the tip I was going to give her. He laughed, and she was pissed. I do keep my promises!
I love using cloth diapers too! I have not come around to cloth pads . . . and I am not sure I ever will!
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to meet you last week! I will be in touch soon about playgroup!
Paying the bagger was something I was uncomfortable with when we first started shopping at the commissary...years ago.
ReplyDeleteHowever, while at our last station, while my husband was deployed, and I was pregnant with two kids in tow at the commissary, the baggers were like my best friends! There were two in particular who always super eager to help us out, and one even chased down my daughter's sun hat that blew over 200 yards and out into a busy street. Over time I grew to being in the habit of simply factoring in the tip as part of our expenses...because the help was necessary, especially at that time. But we were there for a very long time, and they got to know us well.
Here, it's a much bigger place, and the baggers are far more numerous...but it's just the way it has always been for a long time. And I've aclamated to the system. I'm sorry the bagger didn't failed to realize you'd never been to the commissary before. Just chuck it up to a lesson learned and don't let it ruin your impression.
As for fem products...I have a new favorite now. A gal on Etsy makes the bestest pads.
www.fussybutt.etsy.com
I love her bamboo fleece top, wool backed pads! http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=29571021
I've been using them exclusively for a while, and hope she never goes out of business! I hate the feel of spoosie pads, real cloth doesn't irritate like those paper products do.