Monday, August 3, 2009

Best Three Minutes of My Life

He called. I had not heard from him since Thursday at 4PM when someone picked him up at the airport in Kentucky, and man, did those four days seem endless. We knew that they were permitted a mandatory phone call at the very beginning (really, it is for the young kids to reassure their worried mothers that they are indeed alright) and so I have spent the last few days obsessively checking and rechecking my phone, waiting for his call.

And, then, at 9:15AM this morning the phone rang. And noone was there. Then, it rang again. And it was him! Turns out, he used up some of his three minutes changing phones because we couldn't hear each other on that first call!

His voice was so sweet to hear, so sweet, it made my heart hurt.

He sounded very upbeat, very positive, said things were going well, days were long, but that the hardest part was that it was lonely. My heart broke for him. For him, and for us. Because I know exactly what he was talking about. Mr. 2nd Lt. and I are not just spouses, we are best friends. Since he's been gone, I have realized that one of the best parts of our day is before bed, when we spend our time talking and "deprocesing," together. Just making comments, jokes, observations that make sense only to the two of us. Now that we don't have that right now, it feels like my day has a big hole in it. Apparently, so does he, and that makes me ten times as sad because what he is doing is just so hard.

Oh, husband, I miss you.... And, I pray for you every moment.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you got a phone call. It's amazing what just the sound of a husband's voice can do for one's heart.

    I understand the heart wrenching loneliness of being without your best friend. It's a feeling words can't describe.

    Thinking of you...

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!