Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mom to Mom

It really is the little things that mean the most.

Tonight, in the course of ordinary conversation, during a perfectly lovely get together with MSL's old boyhood friend and his wife and daughter, the wife turned to me and remarked how she was just telling her husband the other day what a wonderful mom she thought that I was. We had gotten together with them a week or two ago, and apparently, my act fooled them, because she just was so impressed by how patient I was with Monkey Man and wanted to tell me so.

I was floored.

This, of course, followed upon two nights of horrible bed times from the Boyo, in which I was left feeling like a horrible, impatient, mean and nasty mama.

Those little words of encouragement gave me such peace. And, joy, actually. The spiritual joy that St. Paul talks about. It is so nice to be affirmed and encourage in our vocations, especially from other mothers, other women.

In addition, her words reminded that when we pray for patience, God does not give us patience, but the opportunity in which to practice it. This means that I need to stop viewing these bedtime (all the time?) incidents as battles to be won, and start realizing that God is broadcasting patience opportunities on all frequencies, if only I paid attention.

Love in the little things, right St. Therese?

Mary, Mother of Jesus, pray for us!


And, thanks Rachel, you made my night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!