Her husband, entrusting his heart to her, has an unfailing prize. She brings him good, and not evil, all the days of her life.... She is girt about with strength, and sturdy are her arms. ~Proverbs 31The Army goofed again. This time, fortunately, to our advantage. Mr. 2nd Lt. rolled out of bed on only a few hours sleep at 4:45AM this morning, hurried up and waited for his recruiter to pick him up (late) to be at MEPS before 06:00AM, stood around in his underwear for 30 minutes during a medical inspect and then waited to be sworn in and shipped out to Ft. Knox. Boyo and I rushed and rushed to be there at 8:45AM to attend the ceremony, only to sit around and wait until 11AM with no swearing-in in sight. As I pulled into the parking lot from my lunch McDonalds run around 11:20AM, lo and behold, but who came striding out of MEPS with his bag? That's right, my husband. "Not Today," he says to me.
Turns out, the computer in the front had him in the system but not the computer in the back. That computer has him for tomorrow. What's that, you ask? The most advanced, sophisticated and superior fighting force in the free world doesn't have networked computer systems IN THE SAME BUILDING? Lol, apparently, that is much to much to ask (although they do have some fine cable stations in the family waiting area!). Also turns out that the woman at the front desk knew this rather important information about 2 hours prior to Brian finding out, but when he repeatedly checked in with her, she didn't realize who he was. Such is life in the US Army!
Obviously, despite some frustrations, this small delay in our separation has been a huge blessing, and not just for the chance to spend a few more precious hours together. Turns out, Johnny caught a nasty cold from a sneeze in his face at Mass on Sunday, which he then hurriedly passed on to his Papa, who was VERY under the weather today. Hopefully, this little reprieve will give him a chance to recoup. He said to me this afternoon, after trying to nap some of the cold away, "I'm sure glad no one is yelling at me right now." Honestly, I can't even begin to imagine - sick at basic? - what a nightmare!
And, this blessing has extended to me as well; the peace for which I have been praying so hard has settled in, for the moment at least, and I have not shed any tears today (yesterday? huge mess. HUGE). I expect to get weepy again at tomorrow's actual (?) send-off, but having this extra day really helped to get my emotions under control.
It is really important to me to be strong for Mr.SL during this difficult time; he is going to be under a lot of stress while in training and will have plenty to worry about on his own. I do not want him to have to bear the burden of my pain as well. I want to bring him good, not evil. I want him to trust that even when he is gone, we can manage, Boyo and I. We are a team, the three of us, a family, and we will miss him dearly. But, he can do his duty with peace of mind, because the strength of God's grace, through the sacraments and intercession of the Communion of Saints, will hold us together, will keep me sturdy, even while we are apart.
Jesus, I trust in You.


I am thankful along with you for the gift of those extra hours.
ReplyDeleteI hope your husband did indeed feel better when he left for basic. He is going to do and be amazing because he knows you two are back home cheering him on. You and your son are his lighthouse.
-Andrea
Lighthouse - I like that symbolism :)
ReplyDelete