Well, its officially official. Mr.SL, not yet a second lieutenant, is now Specialist Mr. SL until he graduates OCS and is commissioned. Boyo and I went to his swearing-in ceremony today at MEPS (military entrance processing station - makes me want to do an acronym post :-p), and after much waiting, and waiting, and HGTV/TLC watching, and screaming fits because someone was missing naptime, and waiting, we saw the swearing in. I took a video of the actual swearing in, but technological illiterate that I am, my hand was over the dang speaker on the camera, so I only caught the last sound of the oath. I must admit, I got a little teary eyed, partly from the hours of waiting, but mostly, I think, from the solemnity of the occassion. There is a sort of reverence to the officiality of the whole procedure - the room (like a mini White House Press Room), the eager new recruits at attention, the words of the oath. Honestly, it made me proud to be an American. And, it made me even prouder of my husband, who is bravely going out into the unknown to serve something bigger than himself and put himself in harm's way that others might be safe.
The "pretend" picture before the Captain came in for the oath.
The nice civilian lady told me I could go stand up front during the ceremony and take pictures/video, but, um, I was scared.
I was holding a baby who could cry at any minute, and um, he was a captain. And in uniform. And I was... not. :)The newest Army family. Boyo looks less than thrilled.
Luckily, this wasn't because he hates the military, but because he was feverish and missed his nap.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Its true, comments make my day :)
Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.
This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!
Uncharitable comments will be deleted!