Friday, February 4, 2011

Housewifery Friday: The Secular and the Spiritual


The Secular Me is REALLY interested in this - making my own detergent.

I know, I know, I'm a crunchy weirdo, but I have heard it is so dirt cheap and I hate running out (hello cloth diapers, never having to run to the store!).

Kara at Rockin' Granola makes hers, so maybe I'll email her and see if she has any tips.... I'm just concerned about soap and borax availability, as well as grating my own soap. The grater and I... well, lets just say we aren't best buds. I have a tendency to grate my fingers.

+><>+><>+><>+><>+><>+><>+><>+><>

The Spiritual Me just read this - how being a SAHMama is like living a monastic life.

I was blown. It was so good to read and the idea of responding to the monastic bell really challenged me. I'm thinking that might be my Lenten resolution - to respond more promptly to my children. I've been trying to figure out how to use the internet less and feel like this would be a purposeful way to do that.

Lenten plans? Detergent thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. I've made my own laundry soap. I love using Fels Naptha soap because it smells so good. Borax is SUPER easy to find... it's in the commissary. It's the Fels Naptha that I've never been able to find around here. You can also just use Ivory soap.

    And if you're seriously wanting to... I can grate the stuff for you. Or get a hand held grater from Pampered Chef. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh, it's almost time for Lent. Every year, it seems like it's such a struggle for me! I especially have a hard time with the fasting. Two stinkin' days out of an entire glorious year that our Lord has given to me. Part of the problem is that my (protestant) hubs gives me a hard time every! year! about the ashes on my forehead, and by that time I'm HUNGRY and probably PMSing and I want to hack him into tiny pieces. I really need to find a good way to grow in holiness, 'cause that ain't it! (PS - love that article, I'll be linking to it!)

    More cheerful - laundry soap! If I haven't blabbed on about this already to you, I do semi-homemade. I use a tablespoon of a 1:1 mixture of borax and washing soda with a tablespoon or so (I just drizzle that) of my beloved Tide. I actually came up with that because of washing diapers - I had a terrible time finding the line between enough detergent to get them clean and not too much that I had to rinse and rinse (AND RINSE) to get it out. I double both of those for hubs's work clothes (he farms). I'm not good with a grater, either. Just ask my fingernails.

    ANYWAY, I then use the borax/ws mixture in a 1:1:1 mixture with powdered Cascade for the dishwasher. (so 2 cups of the 1:1 mixture that I made for the laundry plus a cup of Cascade) Because of our hard water, I use Lemishine in the dishwasher, too, but I'm very pleased with how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought of making my own laundry soap, too.

    I love that bit on the domestic monastery. It stays in my mind a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. theresa - i actually can't use ivory, i have sensitive skin. wondering if i can use dove... and i know someone who sells PC, wonder if you can really use the fancy hand held grater for this?

    lenetta - i am so sorry he makes fun every year! :( shame on him! never thought about it for the dishwasher... hmm, must consider!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the article about the domestic monastery! Thanks for posting it. Hope you don't mind it if I "steal" it... ;-)
    Lent? Haven't even had time to think about it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!