Thursday, October 28, 2010

Baa, Baa Black Sheep - Have you any wool [covers]?


Since everyone might be getting bored with constant baby, baby, baby posts, I thought I'd take a break and talk about something a little more serious - like cloth diaper covers.

I know, right? You're salivating on the edge of your seats.

Now that we've established I'm super boring these days, and the uninterested have clicked away, let's talk about my newest favorite thing:

Wool Diaper Covers

From the Diaper Jungle on 100% wool covers:

Wool is very comfortable and it is the only fabric, or fiber, that can actually absorb up to 1/3 of its weight in moisture. Despite the fact that it is full of moisture, wool does not feel wet or clammy. The moisture immediately begins evaporating into the air! As a result, wool is considered a natural fiber and air conditioner in one! Wool is an amazing insulator, which is why people use it in so many products despite the weather. When it is hot, wool can keep the body cool and the heat out. Yet, when it is cold, the wool keeps the body warm and the cold out. 100% wool really is beneficial at regulating body temperature, no matter the temperature outdoors.

With Boyo, we had one wool cover we used in a larger size (that he has since grown out of), and I did like it. But by that point in our diapering, we had mostly AIOs in our stash, so it did not get used very often.

However, with a newborn (ack. an almost ONE month old. Where has the time gone?) we are again in the land of prefolds and fitteds that require covers. And, again, I have a super soaker baby. His bladder is the size of a quarter, so where he keeps all his pee, I'll never know but we leak through lots of diapers around here.

Unless he's wearing wool. No lie, these things are bulletproof - they have held the most soaked prefolds I have ever seen and barely felt damp. We have three kinds at the moment:
2 WAHM made cashmere soakers (handmedowns from a friend)
These are the softest things ever, like little diaper clouds.

From the same handmedown friend, 2 Imse Vimse velcro covers.
These are really nice because I can throw them in the wash with normal things as long as I relanolinize when its done.

I stumbled upon this little beauty on Etsy before Pumpkin was born - best investment ever. It velcros closed (with laundry tabs) and has the absolute best gusseting in the world. By far, my favorite cover and I am seriously considering getting another.

The Etsy owner is great too, because she did a custom for me, and combined this and the next size up for me into one order (and let me change my mind like 8 times with no trouble).

The last thing I'll say about how great wool is is that you don't have to wash it everytime you use them. They do not hold a pee stink (cough B.G. cough), so you just let them air out and dry (if they're even damp) after use and then throw it right back in the pile. In three weeks of use, I've had to wash one cover, one time and that was to get the poo spot off.

I am definitely planning to get more wool in the medium size once Pumpkin grows out of his smalls. Our PUL covers are still in decent shape, but I haven't used them once - these just seem so much more comfy!

So Baaaaa! We should have done sheep costumes this year!

8 comments:

  1. Ok..MAYBE I will try wool covers again. I've tried two and HATED them. I was all set to love them because they seemed like the answer to my super soaker problems. But I have been roundly disappointed. I am glad you posted this as I was, really and truly, getting ready to craft an email to you to ask for some suggestions. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been afraid to use wool on my guys because both myself and my father are allergic to it. I have a friend who used wool covers and wool breast pads and raved about thm both. I used bamboo pads and have found them to work for my annoyingly picky epidermis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maia - what kind did you use? and were they properly lanolinized? i'm using eucalin lanolin wash and it seems to be doing the trick (without a lot of hassle of melting lanolin in the microwave, etc etc.) email away if you have any more questions! (i haven't tried wool with my 2.5 year old super soaker and maybe i should because EVERY. DAY. he wakes up either wet in the pants/sheets or at least STINKING of urine. it is SO gross)

    emily - oh no, allergic! :( i have heard bamboo is super absorbent for diapers, but i think as a diaper, not a cover. you might borrow someone's wool to try and see if they get a rash?

    ReplyDelete
  4. none of my local friends use cloth anymore :-(

    (I use bamboo pads for me and usually just BG 3.0 on the kiddos) I did order a Preston's Pants for a "gift" for Henry for Christmas... he won't mind that it's really for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aristocrats are bulletproof for super-soaker kids. I thought I'd never be able to cloth diaper any of my kids at night until one of my girlfriends gave me one of those things. Oh...my...gosh... And I didn't have to put the kid in what appeared to be 10 diapers with a cover! One motherease sandy with two doublers inside a tie-nappy under the aristocrat (I know, that sounds like alot but it's really not if you see it).

    Speaking of Sandy's, I assumed you were going to be at MCCW today so I brought five XS Sandy's that I had tie dyed for you to try out. I also have a bamboo toddlerease if you'd like to try it for your older one. They work GREAT on my older one and we're moving into potty training time with him. Let me know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. teresa - we are going to be at the all saints party today - are you going? i would love to try some.

    and i would love to be moving into potty training time too. sigh. lol, one day right?

    emily - if only we lived closer, you could borrow mine! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. oiy... sorry I missed your response. We didn't make the party because we had to drive from the barn and it's about a 40 minute drive. We also brought home a new puppy this afternoon and couldn't leave him alone just yet. So we didn't commit to the party.

    Will be at Mass on Sunday though! :) If not, I can always just bring them by if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, a puppy! jealous! :)

    Yes, we will be at the 9:30 this Sunday - see you then! :)

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!