Saturday, May 15, 2010

Our Wooden Anniversary

Mr. 2nd Lt and I celebrated five magical years on January 1st.

I know, right, late anniversary post?

Here's the deal. We do the traditional anniversary gifts (shocker): paper (stock and love letters bound in a notebook), cotton (winter nightgown and boxer briefs), leather (steak dinner- heh heh.), fruit (a new Apple computer - another heh heh. I love it when we're clever) and the fifth year is wood.

This was perfect since we needed a new desk. However, as our furniture store sign today read - friends don't let friends buy particle board. I am so sick of cheap carp from Target/Staples/Etc. that costs $150 and falls apart 10 minutes after you put it together. I refuse to buy more of it. I want real wood furniture. It doesn't have to be new (hello, Craigslist, my old friend), but it has to be real.

Apparently, no one in the state of Georgia ever buys and/or gets rid of a wooden desk, because Craigslist and multiple furniture stores have turned up no desks for months (anniversary? January. Today? May.)

Until today!

This little gem had exactly what we were looking for and sold us the finish and sandpaper to finish it when we got home. Mr. 2nd Lt. did a rockin' job, especially considering he (nor I) had ever done this before. I like the raw pine look/color, so it is a "satin" finish - clear!



Needless to say, we are very happy. And, now I'm dying to go back and buy a kitchen table & chairs, as well as one or two bookcases. Too bad homebirths cost so dang much!

Happy Anniversary, honey. Still as handsome as the day I married you :)






Ps. Six years? Iron. Haven't the slightest....

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, stickin' to tradition!
    Maybe you'll need a weight set next year? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol actually i TOTALLY thought of that after i posted!

    i've been seeing how into crossfit a lot of people are and it sounds like something i might be able to do (low time committment - 20minutes, 3x a week. of course, they are a hellish 20minutes...) and was talking to hubby about it

    and around christmas would be a good time to start, since it will be enough after baby to start doing something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the leather and fruit gifts! Happy belated anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!