Well, this may come as no surprise to those of you who pay attention to the "crunchy" portion of this blog, but Mr. 2nd Lt. and I are pretty committed to a homebirth this go-round.Frankly, do you get any more crunchy than that? :-p
We were interested with Boyo #1, but Mr. 2nd Lt. came around once the birth was over ("couldn't we just have done this at home?," he says.), not to mention the LA Midwifery fees were significantly higher than our already insanely high insurance deductible and co-pay.
So, we settled for a hands-off OB and a natural, albeit in-hospital, birth and honestly, we were very pleased. Got there nice and late, weren't bothered by nurses, our OB was great, and they let us leave after 24 hours (they looked at us funny, but let us leave. what? I wanted my own bed!).
However, I said, next time, we're saving up! I'd rather not get in a car at transition ever again, thanks!
So, true OCD, type-A, crunchy geek that I am, I started researching midwifery options in GA & NC once I found out where Mr. 2nd Lt.'s training and our first duty station would be. Based on difficulty finding stuff at Gordon, as well as dollars and sense, I'm probably just going to find some Tricare dudette until we actual get to Bragg.
I found a couple of options for the actual birth in NC. Thus, about 30 seconds after we found out we were pregnant (yay!), I emailed the women I had found.
And the drama began.
Turns out, only Certified Nurse Midwives are legally allowed to attend births in North Carolina. Certified Professional Midwives are considered to be committing a felony if they attend a birth.
The difference? Exactly. Nothing. Technically, it refers to how they were trained - nursing/midwifery program vs. schooling/apprenticeship with another midwife program. Both of them? Highly qualified.
Also turns out there are roughly 4 CNMs in the entire state of North Carolina. There were five, but the one near Bragg is leaving in June. Did I mention I'm due in October?
However, also legally, I am allowed to give birth wherever I please and have whomever I please attend my birth. I am "unprosecutable."
I did find a really great sounding CPM (who even does a military discount!). Should, however a CPM attend my birth and "someone" found out - she could be in trouble. For example, if something were to happen and Pumpkin and I had to go to the hospital during labour, she would say she was only a doula. Also, as a result of this, CPMs don't have backup doctors. I guess that means I would just have to have my own Tricare OB as my personal backup?
Thus, my moral and ethical dilemma. Aren't I culpable by helping someone break the law? Isn't this morally not permissable? Isn't it an unjust law to begin with? After all, this is purely the result of some stupid medical establishment OB lobbying back in the 80s that felt threatened by American women actually have birth choices. Or, like the drinking law, is this "stupid" something a law I am still obliged to follow?
Fortunately, there are a) another option and 2) some time.
Regarding #2, there is actually some great legislation up in June in the North Carolina whatevertheycallit House to finally get CPMs recognized and practicing legally in the state. So, pray God that passes and my problem is solved. Then, the fallback is a CNM who is 1.5 hours away from Bragg. She's willing to take me on, even at the distance, and split the prenatals (I go for some, she goes for some). And, she bills to Tricare. So, partial coverage is a possibility.
Luckily, God is in charge and I have faith the best possible plan will happen for Pumpkin and myself, regardless of my own desires.
So, I'll just let Him be in charge, and pray superhard for the legislation to pass in June.
Problem solved :)


The 2nd option sounds actually kind of reasonable. Inconvenient, but do-able.
ReplyDeleteDo you have any sense of the likelyhood of the legislation passsing? I think I would be writing my (soon to be) legislator.
Are you gonna try water, this time?
Just remember to keep this under wraps with the military (hubs job) as much as possible. Get one person that outranks him and doesn't agree and it can put a serious hurt on things. It shouldn't be that way...but it can be. Then they can threaten you with taking away your Tricare...and its perfectly legal.
ReplyDeleteautumn, do you mean because its illegal? or homebirthing in general?
ReplyDeletebecause if it turns out to be illegal, we really won't be doing it - DH is just not comfortable with involvement because of looking bad for him as an officer.
but if its not illegal, i dont see what the problem would be...
please explain! :)
My first midwife lived in Minnesota and we lived in North Dakota. She was 2.5 hours away from me. It worked out just fine. I was never worried about the timing, and truly, it was perfect. God is faithful!
ReplyDeleteOur second midwife was an hour away (we lived in VT.) and a few weeks before I was due (with Judah) she had to go to Florida. So, new midwife for me! She lived in NY and I was still in VT. This time it was only 11/2 hours :) Again, it worked out just fine.
God will lead and direct you. He cares for us so much!
-Andrea
I don't understand why CNMs are so hard to come by there, particularly if that's the only legal way these women can do their jobs. Why aren't they all getting that certification instead of the CPM one? So confusing.
ReplyDeleteBut don't do anything illegal. You don't want anything extra to worry about when you're giving birth. I think a CNM who's a little further away will still be just fine. Perhaps a bit of a pain for your prenatal visits, but it is unlikely be a problem for the actual birth.