Thursday, February 25, 2010

Beloved Baby "Stuff"

Oh baby gear - its just so much fun to look at, to pick out, to shop for, to receive as gifts.

Fun, fun, fun. :)

But, honestly, how much of does one really need (vs want, desire or think is just fun to have)?

Every mama will have a slightly different list, I think, and really, its a personal decision, but from my limited experience, here is what I have come up with for my list of baby estuff.

Absolute Non-Negotiables
Breasts
Diapers
couple of onesies

Blanket

Ok, obviously, these are "duh" items. But, I do think its important to remind ourselves that as fun as baby stuff is, our new little ones actually need very little. My EC friends [infant potty training] would even argue you don't need the diapers! But, I'm not that crunchy, nor am I that committed, so diapers are included.

Serious Must-Haves

Lansinoh - for sore nipples at start of breastfeeding, and a great diaper rash cream


Cloth Diapers and Covers - I'm a crunchy gal. And, I'm cheap - do you know many diapers a newborn goes through and how much disposables cost?? So, for the wee ones, I recommend 12-24 DSQ chinese prefolds and 5-8 covers that have a dip for the belly button. Sure, you could get lots of cute prints and All-In-Ones, but they grow really fast and for the massive amounts that you go through each day, prefolds are best for the beginning.



Sling - a ring sling is nice for sharing with hubs, an Ergo is a must for when they get big and heavy, and I think I might like to have a fitted sling as well. Oh, and Baby Bjorns? Not worth the fabric to make them - can you say backpain? Anyways, something to pop baby in while you're doing chores, out and about, or can't get him to sleep any.other.way.


Convertible Carseat - duh. Well, duh on the carseat part, but I am a total convertible fan. I h.a.t.e. those infant car carriers, and always have. They are uncomfortable to carry, they are super uncomfortable to carry around, and really, economically, why have to buy two carseats?

Natural Childbirth Class - this is just as essential as any thing you could purchase for after the baby is here. Even if you aren't necessarily interested in a natural birth, I think it is essential that every woman be as prepared as possible for all aspects of childbirth, including what narcotics are available and the results and sideeffects of all of them. It is important for every mama to have choices in childbirth and if she isn't educated, she can't make good choices. In addition, the newborn care and breastfeeding topics covered are super helpful and useful. Those crash course hospital courses just don't cover enough - they have limited time and are often more concerned about teaching you how to fit into their hospital procedure than make the birth choices that are right for you (I speak from experience - I took one!). Find a local course and sign up, you won't regret it!


Super Handy & Glad I Had Them Things

Stroller - I was all, oh, who needs strollers, I have baby carriers! My mom was all, Lina, you're nuts. Guess who was right? Suddenly my easy to sling baby was 15 back-breaking pounds, so good thing she got me one anyways! I will say, it was before I had the Ergo, but even still, its nice to have and a great place to throw your stuff.


Bumbo Seat - this was great when Boyo was big enough to hold up his head and want to be involved, but couldn't sit up by himself. It gave me somewhere to plop him while I got stuff done or had a meal.


Baby Bouncy Seat - same as above: sometimes, you need a place to put them down!



Cosleeper - I didn't use this as much as I would have liked, since Boyo was pretty much 100% in the bed, but even so, it was worth its weight in gold for a side of the bed blocker. It gave the illusion of more room in the bed and I never had to worry about him rolling out since that was there to catch him. This next kid, though, I have big plans for having him sleep more often in that!


+++++++++++++

So, what would you add or subtract?

And, for mamas of more than one, what would you add that you didn't need or think you needed the first time around?

So far, I'm thinking a double stroller, a baby playmat (this one is ridiculously expensive, but I really like the black and white for newborns part of it), and a swing - I'm scared I just won't have enough hands!

Do share!

ETA: Also, I was thinking that it was important to note that for those items you don't receive as gifts (ie. for free!), Craigslist and eBay, oh and children's consignment shops!, are really the best place to get most of these things. Its cheaper and really, why do you need a brand new Bumbo seat when one that is gently used works just as well? (Mine sure did!)

22 comments:

  1. The playmat is AWESOME!! Adella loves hers (we have it on the all black and white side right now) and Kinsley loves showing her the toys and shaking it so she has more to look at. It is SO worth the money, especially when you take into account you will have more kids AND will need times to put the baby down because boyo needs something.

    I've never used the Lansinoh. Guess I am lucky! What is your favorite diaper cream?

    I WISH I could EC, but don't know where to start or how to make it work ~ but wouldn't that be nice!

    We use a hand-me-down bassinet instead of a co-sleeper (because it was free) and we don't do co-sleeping.

    I disagree slightly on the infant carrier, but only because I live in the cold North. It is soo nice to not have to dress my baby in a HUGE snowsuit type thing to go outside and it is SOO nice to be able to keep her completely out of the blowing snow. Though I agree they are uncomfortable to carry, cumbersome to use and not that comfy for baby either, but until the snow and freezing weather stops, I feel they are a must for me up here.

    okay, I am out of time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bebes are still a little bit in the future for us, but since I am a planner at heart, this was fascinating for me! I love getting "real mom" advice on what works, what is worth the splurge, and what isn't.

    Very excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My all time favorite thing was the wipe warmer. I made my own wipes but liked to have them warm so baby didn't wake fully up when changed during sleepy time. I used the kind that wrapped around the outside of the container instead of the ones you put the wipes in.

    And my fav diaper bag find was a set of caps that go on bottled water or juices (I think it came with 3 sizes) that you can screw on the bottles and its more like a bottle. This was for toddler age and kept in the diaper bag for unexpected situations where I needed to buy a drink for the little one because I had not planned well or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. from back to front:

    autumn, - those caps sound really great, but i have never seen them. do you know what they're called?

    dar - me too! i loved reading this kind of stuff even before i had kids! :)

    sara - maybe i would change my tune in the artic north, but lugging those things around - UGH! what a backbreaker! or really, arm-number! :-p

    we do cosleeping cuz i'm a lazy mama - getting out of bed at night is not how i roll :-p if you are really interested in EC, the primer on the subject is "Elimination Communication" - i'm sure your library could get it for you. it goes over how it works and how to get started, etc. i've read it, and the premise is sound, its just, as noted above, i'm pretty lazy and during infancy, its about a lot of parent training. too much work! but my best friend jane swears by it!

    you never had sore or cracked nipples? wow, you lucky girl! i really do highly recommend it as a diaper cream and for stubborn rash we use california baby's diaper creme (calendula cream) - its a little pricey, but i like the all natural ingredients and it won't stain cloth diapers the same way a destin or other mineral oil based product would.

    as for the playmat - why is it not on ebay?? booooo! i really do like it and hopefully a grandma might spring for one, but with a homebirth and more diapers to by, i'm just not sure a brand new one is in the budget. here's hoping it pops up on ebay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with d.a.r. - though I don't have babies yet, I love reading all this! And I trust a mom blogger's word over a magazine's word any day - who knows what they're getting to promote unnecessary products! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I really enjoyed my ring sling (I think it was from Maya Wrap? I don't even remember). My husband also enjoyed this front carrier (Jeep maybe?) for JWG when they went walking/hiking/etc. I thought the pack and play was useful as a bassinet/putting baby down/change station on our first floor. We never used our swing with JWG although with this little pumpkin, I just might have to! Luckily we saved almost everything from JWG so we don't have to spend too much. I do highly recommend my Breast Friend pillow, which was great for helping me nurse my first (I always had a lot of trouble getting comfortable and this was a great investment!) Looking forward to reading more of your baby posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yea, a boppy! i loved that thing! in fact, i got a second to keep at my mom's for when we travel!

    i hear the maya wrap's are nice, but i'm a bit intimidated by the tying and wrapping, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say, I'm a HUGE fan of Bjorn. Sully loves it! I also LOVE my BOB stroller. I'm a runner :). Another must have, steamer and food processor to make baby food. I can't wait to start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with you on Baby Bjorn. Babies just don't look comfy dangling there, do they? I love being able to just zip my baby into my jacket when I where my sling or Ergo. I look pregnant again, but I know he's cozy!

    Found your blog via Faith & Family--we seem to have similar parenting styles...and I'm an Army Reserve wife. I'll be bookmarking your page!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi there lit goddess, stop by anytime! :)


    mrs. trophy wife - i tried the bjorn, but it hurt my back so much! the bobs are super stylish - but i hate running, so the jogger isn't as important for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I was about to start in on the EC, but then you admitted that it is possibly really an awesome thing to do. Seriously, the pay off is in the comparatively early potty training. I was just whining about how Catherine won't wipe herself when I had to catch myself, she has been potty trained for a year and a half. Ryan was still in diapers at her age. So I will cheerfully wipe the poor girl's bottom. But seriously it is easy to get caught up in thinking that I need stuff for EC. What could one possibly buy? Split pants, leg warmers, see through potty, potty sleeve, multiple little potties, various books on the topic, (Cloth)diaper holder upper- otherwise known as an oversized scrunchie. I don't own all of these items as I do have some self restraint.
    For Catherine we got a wipe warmer as she was born in the winter.
    I LOVE my Baby Bjorn (with lumbar support), and my sling, and my ERGO (splurge). And so did/do my kids!
    We also bought Ryan a Britax Regent that will take him through college (OK, 80 lbs.)in a 5 point harness car seat. And Matthew got the old Marathon. Catherine got her own MArathon in girl colors.
    We do like our Jumperoo, although it does suck up a lot of space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stop by every once in a while from Trying our Best.

    I am expecting our 2nd baby (16 weeks along). Very interesting read!

    My must haves this time are a bouncy seat, a saucer/jumper, boppy, carseat/stroller (I actually did not mind the infant carrier until she got to where she could sit in the cart, she usually slept when I went grocery shopping).

    Question: Are cloth diapers really worth it? I've been thinking about getting a stock of them for when we just stay home, I don't go out much, but if we go on a day trip or whatever use disposables.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm commenting a) to introduce myself (love the blog) and b) to say that while I TOTALLY agree about the convertible car seat (loathe infant carriers) I AM glad that I got one for baby #2. My oldest is still under 2, my youngest just hit the 8 mos. mark -- being able to fasten the baby in while still indoors and then maintain a hand hold on my toddler was crucial for safety. I hate carrying the carrier around but it was the best option for us! (We didn't get a stroller frame that it fit into and Oh-how-I-wish-we-had. Because I hate lugging it with a passion!)
    Also, for sleeping, instead of a co-sleeper, I recommend a simple play pen with the "infant deck". I use mine like a co-sleeper, usage time is longer AND (esp. if you get the kind that is easy to roll around) it's a great place to set baby down. But I have never used a co-sleeper, so I could be wrong.
    Thanks for putting this list together! Great resource!
    Also, may we link to you (http://flowersroundthecross.blogspot.com/)? We are trying to network with Catholic military wives and moms!

    ReplyDelete
  14. maia - the armsreach cosleeper goes up to 25lbs before you either can't use it (the mini) or have to drop it to a playpen (fullsize) - as i understand it, the pack'n'play has the same weight limit?

    also, you CAN roll around the cosleeper, but its a bit more convenient/safe than a playpen next to your bed because a) the side drops down so its even with your mattress and 2) it attaches to your bed with straps so it can't move (unless you want it to!) and make a gap for the baby to fall in!

    and yes, you're welcome to link to me, thanks so much for stoppping by, i'm flattered! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lina, congrats! Wow, how quickly things can change!!! :>) I wanted to mention that I bought a play mat reasonably similar to the one you linked to for MUCH less at Target (or Wal-Mart - can't remember). I'm thinking $20-$30. Admittedly it isn't as fancy, but for the price, I'm not sure the extras are necessary.

    About the only thing I loved that isn't on your list - I use a mesh lingerie bag for tiny socks. (Still use it on not-quite-so-tiny socks, too.) I just leave one in the laundry basket and stick socks in there when I take them off. It really helped!

    Prayers for a blessed home birth and that you feel better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it was an Infantino, sort of like this. Not quite the same, but close. (And I was off on the price - this shows $35.) Our lion played songs if you tugged on him... I loved that little thing! And can still remember how the songs went. :>)

    Also, have you ever tried preggie pops for nausea? I have used them for motion sickness. (You can see some of the other things I have used here - a few are applicable for pregnancy!) If you'd like to try some out, I can send you a few from my stash. The caveat is that they've been sitting around for a few years, but I don't think that has too much of an effect on hard candy! If you'd like me to send you a few, just e-mail your address to nettacow at gmail dot com and I'll pop them in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my goodness! squeal! hurray! congrats, Lina!

    and with all the exclaiming out of the way (ok, I'm still doing it, just not typing it) let me move to the I have 2 now, so I can give you advice portion: The best thing I did for theo in preparation for Lucia's arrival as tell him to wait. about everything. He would come to me asking for something and I would say, "Okay, but you have to wait until I'm done eating lunch/drinking tea/reading this newspaper/folding these clothes/etc." One thing that I read about (in a book that said the best way to prevent sibling rivalry is to have babies within 3 years of each other or closer - so I decided it was worth reading through) was how you need to get your child used to not having the exclusive attention that he's been used to all his life. The book was written by a clinical psychologist who didn't have any advice about how to go about this, so I decided to teach theo patience before the baby came out so that he wouldn't think that the baby was the one suddenly making him wait all the time. And now he has no problem with waiting while I do baby things.

    Other than that, I think that you actually need less stuff for babies the second time around. but Lucia spends way more tiem in the infant carrier than theo - because it's cold, and because she falls asleep on the way to theo's playdates and just sleeps through that and back into the car, and maybe an errand or 2 on top of that. but I'm also using the double stroller more than I ever used theo's stroller in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh vieve, so good to hear from you! i can't find your email so hopefully you check this!

    love the waiting idea - what is the name of that book? would love to read it!

    and ps. where is your birth story?! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the info! I've added you to our links! (I've got cloth diaper questions for you, but I've got a cranky, teething baby who won't let me set him down. So another day!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found your blog through your comment on Faith and Family Live. I would have to say, REALLY think twice about a double stroller. I got one when my 2nd was born and used it, but could have just done with our single stroller since my daughter liked to walk. Same thing happened with my eldest son when my youngest was born. If I had to do it all again, I would invest in a single stroller like a Bugaboo (yes, $$$ but I've heard worth it...you can find good used ones on craigslist) where you can get a wheeled board attachment that the older child can stand on if (s)he doesn't want to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lina, my email is genevievedobbins@hotmail.com

    I'm working on writing up my birth story - it's a matter of priorities in my life right now. I get frustrated typing while nursing, so any moment that I don't have my hands on a child is a moment that should be used for a dozen different things. but it will come. eventually.

    The book is called "preventing Sibling Rivalry" (I forget the author). It was interesting, but not 100% worth reading because the author is writing about what she found out about sibling rivalry from a study that she set up to examine jealousy in one-year olds. Also, I think it is fundamentally useful for people who want to wait 4 or 5 years between kids because of all the crap about giving a kid as much attention as he can bear (and more) and not forcing him to share. Anyway, not a bad book, but you and I already know that stuff. She also has an interesting test of whether your kid has a jealous temperment, but it is only valid around the 1st birthday. and really, I think most moms already know.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you hit it right on with your needs!!
    It caused me many sleepless nights in my pregnancy to think of how much "stuff" so many babies had, while others were going to bed cold, hungry and without their basic needs met. It broke me heart and we vowed to really keep the baby stuff at a minimum and give more to other babies than we spent on ours.

    We had a play mat (thank you Craigslist) and a Moby wrap (hated the Bjorn!), and those were our two splurges.

    Hope you are feeling well :)

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!