I love our Holy Father. He warms my Catholic crunchy heart.In this year's message for the celebration of the World Day of Peace (January 1st), he instructs us that if we want to "cultivate peace, [we must] protect creation."
He goes on to note his observation that "whenever nature, and human beings in particular, are seen merely as products of chance or an evolutionary determinism, our overall sense of responsibility wanes."
We have been entrusted with God's creation and with the care of our fellow brothers and sisters. Let us live up to that responsibility in this new year!
Buy a reusable grocery bag, start recycling, use freecycle instead of throwing things away!
Dust off those corporal and spiritual works of mercy: visit the sick, give shelter to the homeless and drink to the thirsty. Instruct the ignorant, admonish the sinner, pray for the living and the dead.
Spread peace in your own life.
And perhaps the best way to start, in the wise and holy example of our Blessed Mother, who's very Motherhood we celebrate today, is to ponder anew these Christmas mysteries that we still are celebrating.
And Mary kept all these things,
reflecting on them in her heart.
As a full time mother, I try so very hard to remember to withdraw interiorly throughout the toddler-craziness of the daily routines. Especially with Mr. 2nd Lt. in school and out of the home much of the time, it falls to me to cultivate peace in our family and peace in the rhythms of our little home. Little eyes and ears are quick to note what Mama does much before they adhere to what Mama says.
Thus, this new year I must take care to help Boyo find peace in God's creation - walk in nature, picking up our trash and toys, helping me to sort the recycling, and reducing our waste by not buying anymore paper towels.
This new year, I would like to establish a daily rhythm for our family that includes stopping to pray during the day. We do say a decade of the rosary before bed, but I think that it would be feasible (and spiritually beneficial!) to add the Angelus to our lunch routine. And, making Boyo say grace before serving him food. Mr. 2nd Lt and I are good about always saying grace, but we have been slacking on making sure that the Monkey participates before he can eat. He's a big boy now - old enough to be grateful for God's good eats! :)
And, lastly, I need to do some own pondering in my heart, in my own time, if I truly wish to be the more patient, meek and joyful mama that God has called me to be. I need to stop whining about my impatience with God's plan for our family and start praying about it more instead.
So here is to a new, peace-filled 2010.
May God bless our year and yours as well and may the Mother of God lead us close to her Son!


Aww, what a sweet post.
ReplyDeletexo.