Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Advent & Seasonal Book Basket

For those who are interested, here are the wonderful titles in our basket right now!

The Soldier's Night Before Christmas
O. Henry's Gift of the Magi
Little Bear's The Sweet Smell of Christmas
The Snowy Day
The Little Drummer Boy
Tomie DePaola's The Legend of the Poinsettia
Tomie DePaola's The Clown of God
Diego's Family Christmas
Scratch N Sniff Christmas
Saint Nicholas - The Story of the Real Santa Claus
Angela & The Baby Jesus
Touch and Feel Baby Jesus is Born
Angel, Angel, What do You Hear?
The Star of the Manger
Sacred Songs of Christmas: A Family Treasury
Merry Christmas Curious George!

Coming Soon (after feast days and family presents arrive):

Tomie DePaola's Our Lady of Guadalupe
Tomie DePaola's Night of Las Posadas
Tomie DePaola's Tomie's Little Christmas Pagent (per her recommendation at Faith & Family)

Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Epiphany gift)

Hoping to Add before the end of the Season:

Frost's Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
A classic copy of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas
The Donkey's Dream


I guess this might seem like a lot, all written out like this, but unlike toys, I firmly believe that you cannot have enough good quality books (I only buy hardback. I guess I'm kind of a book snob :-p). Some of these I have purchased 2nd hand at consignment shops and such, some of these have been gifts, some I have bought ridiculously cheaply right after Christmas.

I also started before the Boyo was even born! I have dear, sweet memories of the Little Bear's The Sweet Smell of Christmas and when I saw it on sale the Christmas I was pregnant, I couldn't resist :).

Also, some of the board books that are definitively religious, we actually keep in our Mass bag.

We love books; I have always loved reading and it is a real treat to share that with my own child.
In addition, I have a slight addiction to seasonal reading materials (and housing decor :-p), so I just love adding to the collection.

If you have any favorites to share, please do! We could always use another! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the Gift of the Magi story! It's one of the best of all time.

    You have a good list! I can't think of any to add.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... books are a treasure.

    If it were up to me, we'd have no toys and only books. :)

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!