Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sometimes I Even Impress Myself.

I was so scared.

My walking foot mocked me.

Quilting curvy lines on a first quilt? Eek!

But! I did it! And it doesn't look too bad!








Unfortunately, my photography skills are even below the level of my sewing skills, so you can't really see the quilting lines - ESHS, in regular handwriting caps (ETA - if you click on the pictures themselves, you can see the lines a bit better). I had wanted to do script letters with curly ques, but, um, yea. That was what was scaring me. So, I just did regular letters and it turned out not too bad. Now, it just needs a washing to crinkle up nice!

Then, because I was on such a role, my crunchy side shown through and I had the idea to use some remnant fabric and some remnant batting (from this quilt) to make my "Bible Blanket."

This is a project that I've been planning for years and am so pleased to finally have a machine to do it with. We have a "sacred space" in our bedroom (ugh, I hate how happy-clappy that sounds, but don't know what else to call it) and so I bought a display stand on clearance years ago for our beautiful family Bible - the kind that holds the Bible open - and after using it for a few weeks, discovered to my horror that the stain on the wood wasn't sealed and being in a spot that got sunlight had "melted" the stain onto the Bible.

Boo, hiss.

Needless to say, I stopped using it and just kept the Bible on the table closed. But, I thought I could just use some cloth underneath it and another cloth on top as a dust cover. My mother had this felted dust cover for her family Bible, and it looked easy enough to make.... assuming one had a machine, which I didn't until 3 weeks ago.

Then, because I'm me and the liturgical year is awesome, I decided I couldn't just make some generic cover, but needed multiple ones (reversible ones?) in liturgical colors to match the seasons. So I'm going to Joann's this week to get felt to make a Green/Purple& Pink one (Ordinary Time on one side, Advent on the other) and a Deep Purple/White & Gold one (Lent on one side, Christmas/Easter on the other. Yes, I thought about a red one too - for Pentecost and Martyr days, but figured I wouldn't be changing it daily, just seasonally so that would be silly. No, liturgical colors in general are NOT silly.)

In the meantime, I used some leftover muslin and brown fabric (ironically the brown is from Boyo's St. Juan Diego costume last year. How apropos!), with a bit of batting for thickness, and made the bottom piece, to protect the Bible from the evil stand.

Ta da!






I'm thinking it needs some kind of edging decor or something, but I haven't figured out what. And I'm totally over the applique stitch, as you know. Maybe I'll find some nice ribbon at Joann's.... something liturgically neutral....

4 comments:

  1. Yay for liturgical color bible covers!! :) I must say, I am a bit jealous of your sewing machine - so many cool projects to do! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. claire, you should look for one on craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative and crafty... a true gift!

    I am sure whatever you come up with will be beautiful and treasured.

    Have fun!

    Oh, and the quilt... beautiful! You did awesome!!

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its so funny, Andrea, i would NEVER call myself creative - i have only made functional things or things with patterns.

    crafty? well, i aspire to be.

    YOU on the other hand with your GORGEOUS photography - THAT is creativity!

    ReplyDelete

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!