Here's an in progress shot:
She just started her freshman year at my own alma mater and while I am currently not giving them money (can we say unorthodox much?), I do have lots of school pride, namely because of a huge devotion to Mother Seton that I completely credit with having gone to her namesake's school. I also love my school song, written by Sr. Vincentia, a former president and friend to my beloved grandmother. In fact, I love it so much, I still sing it. Um, a lot, actually, and usually in the shower.
Anyways, back to the quilt. Thus, to commemorate the next four years of my cousin's life, I am making her a quilt in the school's colors (scarlet, gold and white), and I adapted the pattern from this [seemingly] super easy quilt to include four panels, instead of three, one for each year of high school.
In addition, the school's motto of "Light to Know, Grace to Do" is based on a Mother Seton quote that I enjoy and so I am planning on incorporating it onto the back of the quilt.
Somehow. Haven't quite figured out those details yet. Other details I haven't figured out include getting a walking foot to be able to actually do the quilting part of it and oh, you know, how to sew once I move to GA and no longer have a machine. So we'll see. :)
ETA: I finished the whole top tonight! Woot! That's what happens when you don't check the clock I guess!


My mom tried to teach me to sew when I was younger but... it didn't work out so much.
ReplyDeleteI sure wish I knew how to now. I hope that someday I can take lessons.
Your Christmas gift of a quilt is wonderful! I am sure she is going to love it when she gets it but probably more and more as the years go on.
Happy quilting!
-Andrea
THanks, hopefully she does like it! :)
ReplyDeleteand, um, actually, i dont know how to sew either. i just start putting fabric in the machine and hope it works out :-p so give it a try!
i would love to learn other crafty things like knitting and crocheting, but, alas, i think i'm hopeless :-p