Monday, September 28, 2009

Angel[s] of God

It seems that I have become the go-to girl for hosting playgroup on the Feast of the Archangels (St. Michael, St. Raphael and St. Gabriel). Or its just a happy coincidence that two years in a row I am responsible for crafts and snack for a church playgroup on this wonderful feast! :) Or, the angels love me? One of these, I'm sure.

Anywho, the snack is easy - angel food cake! As if there were any question! When my kid(s?) get a little bigger and I again have my own kitchen, etc, I plan to add devil's food cake as well, to have a tasty discussion of good vs. evil, St. Michael and the heavenly host casting Lucifer down into hell, etc. Nothing says heaven will be victorious like multiple kinds of cake! :)

The craft though, for the under 3 set, is a bit tricky. All kinds of fun bigger kid things exist to make with angels, but little ones just can't do much. Last year, I had the kids use watercolors to paint pre-printed outlines of the three archangels, but I also had an outside venue (my large porch) to confine lots of water and paints.

So, this year, inspired by angelic visions and various crafty items in Michaels, we are going to glitter pre-drawn magnets, as shown below. I bought glue with a brush and glitter (although messy, it seems more easy to clean up than paint, but we'll just see I guess) and seven angel wood cutouts. I stuck magnet strips on the back and wrote a little prayer on each angel, pertinent to who they were to portray. I also drew their symbols on with Sharpies - fish for St. Raphael (patron of travelers), lily for St. Gabriel (messenger Angel -and shutup, its the best "lily" I could manage), and of course, sword for St. Michael.













I feel so stinkin' creative its not even funny. And, its something that I actually don't mind keeping around.


Of course, I'll give credit where its due - Thank you Archangels!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Its true, comments make my day :)

Please, however, only comment if you can do so in all charity.

This doesn't mean that you have to agree with me - it means you need to disagree nicely!

Uncharitable comments will be deleted!